Thursday, May 20, 2010

Postop Checkup

Today I had my postop check up. I have lost 22 lbs since I first started this process, down from 361 to 339. That's 5 lbs since my surgery. Currently the lap band isn't inflated and I will have my first lap band adjustment on June 14th. This is all my own weightloss so far.

I explained to the doctor everything I have went through since the surgery. The doctor said I have a lot of swelling inside which is going down but which explains some of the strange sensations I have had. For instance, a couple days after my surgery the muscle from my neck to my left shoulder has been tight and aching. I thought I have just been sleeping on it wrong or my neck is out, but according to Dr. Michaelson the healing from the swelling in the stomach and diaphragm area radiates the pain through that nerver. I've been taking Ibuprofen for that.

The knot like feeling in my throat is still there. That's also from the swelling around the lap band and stomach according to the doctor.

The doctor told me a little about my surgery. During the surgery they tilt you up to make it easier to get to the organs and they put a board behind your feet and strap your ankles so you won't slide off the table. Towards the end of the surgery as the doctor was ready to close, evidently I became a wild man and started thrashing my left leg around and broke the strap holding it down. I kicked a lever to inflate an air mattress that is used to move you off the operating table. Oh my gosh! That would have been funny to have on video. I can imagine the look on the doctor's face as his patient is breaking loose!

My feet must have been flexed against that board and my calf muscles contracted for the time of the surgery. This could explain why my calf muscles burned and were sore for several days. It would be a good idea for the nurses to make sure the feet aren't flexed the whole time or to adjust the leg positions.

This week I will start eating soft foods per the clinic's original instructions for week two after the surgery. I think it's going to take a little getting used to portion sizes -- but I don't want to overdo it and feel terrible afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment