Monday, May 17, 2010

A Little History...

All my life I have extremely overweight. From the time I was a child in 5th grade and on I had tried about every diet imaginable. I had managed to lose weight but it always came back -- with interest. Unfortunately I had inherited FAT GENES and a very slow metabolism (my heart rate is 60).

After going through a divorce in 2001 and multiple surgeries and getting up to 355 lbs, I decided to start working out vigorously. I worked out one hour a day everyday and managed to lose 110 lbs and get down to 245 lbs. No matter how much more I worked out I could not get below that. I felt great and reduced my workouts to 2 to 3 times a week and managed to keep the weight steady and in check until 2005 when I got remarried. My new wife was a transplant from Texas and had no family in the Seattle area. She was close to her family in Texas and I vowed to become her support system and develop a very close relationship. The first year of marriage was tough for her because she missed her family and she needed me home directly after work. I soon was missing my workouts and within a year had stopped working out all together. My fat genes once again kicked in and I started gaining weight like crazy.

Within a year I had gained over a hundred pounds back once again. My wife wondered what happened to the guy I used to be???? As time has continued I've continued to gain weight to my highest weight of all time, 361 lbs.

When I was single I had talked to people who had a lab band and had lost lots of weight and managed to keep it off. Two years ago I started considering getting a lap band. One of my former coworkers, an extremly obese woman, said she had a lap band for a couple years but it obviously had not worked for her. This made me very leary of getting a lapband.

It wasn't until my wife started saying she wasn't as interested in sex and that I was squishing her that I decided I needed to rethink getting a lapband. Like a cocaine addict I had become addicted to food. I felt hungry all the time and was eating extra meals in the evening to keep satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment