Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Ok, so why am I hungry?

This first week after my lap band surgery I have been following the doctor's advice and continuing on basically a liquid diet (no big chunks of food). I have been having protein shakes for breakfast and lunch, but I've noticed that I'm starved by lunchtime and dinnertime.

The week before my surgery when I had protein shakes I wasn't hungry at all.

I think I finally figured out why. To make the plain protein shakes tastes better I've been adding a couple scoops of unsweetened cocoa to the mix. Cocoa has caffeine in it and I think it is causing me to be hungry. Caffeine makes your system digest things faster and increases your metabolism. So I guess I'll have to cut out the cocoa -- it's too bad I couldn't find the protein powder mix I use in chocolate!

Tomorrow is my post op checkup. I've been taking walks everyday and I feel more energy than I have in a long time. It will be interesting to see how much weight I've lost -- on my own (the lap band isn't even inflated yet -- the doctor won't do that until a month after surgery to give my body time to heal.)

I decided not to tell anyone not even my parents or kids that I was having weight loss surgery. I wasn't sure how I'd do and didn't want anyone else's expectations. It was hard keeping it from the kids. I told them I was sick when they asked why I was home on last Thursday after I had my surgery. I want to show them that I can lose weight and so can they if we watch what we eat. All 3 of my kids are overweight. My two boys, 16 and 11 are extremely obese. My daughter has been losing weight and has been very conscientious about what she eats.

It's interesting that noone except my wife has noticed or mentioned my weight loss to date though. I look in the mirror and see that my face is thinner and I look healthier. I'm sure I look different to others. It's kind of odd.

No comments:

Post a Comment